Wednesday, November 28, 2012

One of Our Family Asking For Help

alicespicer2003@yahoo.com
Message = Hi. My name is Alice Spicer, and I have recently launched a non-profit organization dedicated to eliminating the stigma associated with Alzheimer's and dementia through publication of creative work. Basically, I want to provide a platform for their voices to penetrate nursing home walls and be heard in the public arena.

Here is our website: http://alzheimerchronicles.com

I am writing to ask your support in helping people become aware of a fundraising campaign we are doing for the first publication, "Alzheimer Chronicles: The Invisible Poets," an illustrated collection of short stories. After almost two years worth of weekly storytelling workshops, I think it is about time that others are exposed to these valuable stories. The cognitively unchallenged people in this world have a lot to learn from our forgetful friends.

Here is a video, which demonstrates the level of depth and meaning in their stories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx_kI8e0Q7E

I hope that you will pass this information along to your friends and colleagues. Our campaign, on Kickstarter.com ends December 5th. We have about 24% funding so far, with 21 days to go.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Take care,
Alice Spicer

God Bless & Keep You & This Country of Ours!
joe

PS> review if interested follow your feelings.

3 comments:

jorge said...

Hi Joe,

I just saw the HBO's documentary where you appear. I loved the idea of your blog, because I have one too, although its themes are others.

Talking about the documentary, when a job is well done should be recognized. The Alzheimer's cycle well explained and treated with dignity for each subject. We need bring grateful to the families who gave up their privacy so that we could explore and understand.

This documental was recommended to me (and is part of curricula) in my English Second Language class (MATC-Madison, WI).

I thank my instructor for the opportunity to reflect, through the experiences of others, on the hopes and fears own, and with the experiences nearby.

A hug, Jorge.-

Stephanie from NY said...

You make a difference. Never forget that.

Carol Noren Johnson said...

We are friends with another couple. Both husbands have Alzheimer's. I love how my husband notices and feels with the other husband. "He is going downhill," was the remark the other day. Our two husbands are starting to go to a senior center now and they raise each other up as you song says.

Sorry I can't participate time-wise and financially in the above effort, but I love the idea.

Hugs and prayers,
Carol