Wednesday, March 14, 2012

In The Moment!

As many of you know i have also fought my disease of alcoholism.  The program i joined taguht me to live one day at a time. Taking things as they came and dealing with them without the use of my friend Jonhn Barleycorn. Now I have a disease, Alzheimer's and Frontal Temporal Dementia, which have robbed me of those memories that i was told to keep green, so I would remember my life with JB and the hell that i lived in. Those days and other memories good and bad are all becoming only words to me. They are starting not to carry the pain, joy, saddness, hapiness , etc of my past. Alzheimer's has now forced me to live in only the minute, not even the day, I can do something at 8am and by 8:30am it is gone, not even a memory only a few words exist about it. This is becomming more and more my life. Living only in the moment. I guess that is how we are reallly to live, but this is new and confussing to me. It is about 7pm here and I cannot tell you what I did an hour ago.This fuckin disease really robs you of things and it is taking more faster and faster. But I still have ½ brain cell that refuses to give up, so I can tell you of this journey at least for the moment.

Take care of yourselves.

God Bless & Keep You & This Country of Ours!
joe

3 comments:

JUST A MOM said...

Joe I sit and read your words and I am AMAZED at the part of you who can still type out those BEAUTIFUL WORDS.... I SOOOOOOO want to get more lap tops into the hands of those like you,, what a wonderful gift! keep tappin those little keys Joe,,,, one minute at a time I will smile while I read what comes out of it.

Mental Illness In Children said...

Don't worry dear, I'm really very glad to know that there are still some people on earth who knows how to live life without worrying about the future.My mother is also a patient of Alzheimer's, but still she is going strong(but she sometimes forget her own name). God is great! he will never let anything bad happen to good guys like you.

NewKidontheBlogg said...

Yep! Not all memories are good memories. Living one moment at a time is good.

My husband with Alzheimer's has a daily schedule that he requested some time ago and it helps him recall what is going on for that day. It's on a clipboard that he checks off.