Saturday, July 09, 2011

Alzheimer's The Relentless Predator!!!!

I have not talked much about me lately, been trying to give you other info.  But this blog is about my journey into neverland. Yes it is a voygae to places I do not know and people that look familar but yet are strangers.

I have been pretty lucky so far, but that is runnning out, the physical affects, my emotions and mental status are starting to change rapidly for me. Lynn has to wakee me up because I fall asleep while eating. I just stop in the middle of things, I sleep at the drop of a leaf and i forget what the hell i am talking about. My hearing is gettting worse, it never has been perfect, but the words I hear from people are becooming completly diferrent from what they are saying. Mornings use to be fine for me, not anymore, I get up still around 8am and out of bed, feed the she devil bird, my attack fish, take my meds hopefully, that all takes maybe an hour. And there I am sound asleep on the couch by 9:30 or so and completely unaware really of things until after noon.  Not that i become a mental genius suddenly but the fog clears for awhil not long anymore. I guess the 8 year path is right i am now in about year 6 or so and things are going away from me or I am going away. Not sure anymore. But you folks have been a blessing in my Life.  The Alzheimer's and Frontal Temporal Dementia are doing there job and getting much better at it. To all that bought my book Thank You, your money that I received has mostly been donated to The Alzheimer's Research Foundation.

so much for today, you all take care of yourselves.

God Bless & Keep You & This Country of Ours!
joe

PS> Last I Knew Alan Rogers was about to ascend Mt. Denali in Alaska, i think it is, and upon doing so that will be the 4th summit in his 7 Summit Climb for Alzheimer's. God be withyou Allen.

2 comments:

JUST A MOM said...

Joe I can not speak for all but I am here to tell you that NO MATTER what the letters spell in your posts I LOVE SEEING THEM. You have given ME alone the BEST GIFT, that being, your insite in this nasty A/D stuff. I go to work and speak of you daily and only wish my residents had the equipment to type what their brains still hold. I believe there is way more left on the inside then we see from the outside.

HUGS and enjoy those naps,, I could use a few myself. :)

Dana Kruckenberg said...

Hello Joe,
I am Dana Kruckenberg, wife of an early-onset Alzheimer's victim, Steve, age 56. I retired in 2009 to be home with him, and he has done fairly well, despite his brother Larry dying of the disease (and Lewy Body) last December at 57.
Steve is walking the dogs right now, but in the last 2 months I don't allow that unless I am home. The labs know the 21/2 mile route, of course, going 7 days a week, and if his caregiver sin't with him, then I can always go out in the Jeep and get him back if it seems like too long a time.

Steve's dad died of the disease at age 69, and was very physically active, escaping occasionally and walking downtown before being found and brought home. I turned on the short door chimes I used to use when our 5 kids were small after he said he walked outside in the middle of the night last month! But of course, he's mentally confused, with the "fog" as you and my husband both describe it. Stve's on huge amounts of meds, but has just dropped off the plateau he had been on for the last 6 months.

His hearing--or processing, as our county's Office of Aging caregiver classes have informed me--is also getting worse. He still follows directions for gardening, lawn care, fix-it chores and caring for the dogs, but his leaving our gate open cost us $530 to get them back from the Animal shelter!
On my blog, Today's Project, www.krucke4jc.blogspot.com, I write about our life with Alzheimer's fairly regularly, but not daily. Notable recent posts are May 29, June 28, July 1,3,5,6,7& 8. I am planning my next book to be on our experience.

You are doing a wonderful service!
God Bless you, Dana