Saturday, May 21, 2011

Alzheimer's Folk Do Not Want To Talk About It!!!!

This is actuaaly about denial this post. I read on caregiver sites, other blogs and comments on mine, "how do I get mom or dad to admit they have Alzheimer's, they are in denial".

Well my point of view, you just don't. What is the big deal if they say Yes dam it I have Alzheimer's. Does that validate YOU in some way. Frick they know something is wrong, wake up. Your job as their caregiver is TO BE THEIR FOR THEM, not to make them agree to having Alzheimer's. We know we have a problem and it will get worse.

Yes I am yelling at you. Imagine yourself being handed a DEATH SENTENCE, that is what Alzheimer's is. Would You go around skipping down the street saying oh goody I have Alzheimer's; or do you think you just might keep your mouth shut and go about your business the best you could? That is what I choose to do and many folks that I know that have the disease have choosen to do. But I tell you on this blog what is happening to me so you get some insight into our world of frustration, terror and brain fog. I do not know how everyone feels, but i do not consider myself any more important than anyone else with this disease, we walk together.

Forget whether your patient, loved one, etc. accepts or talks about having Alzheimer's. They have it, is not that enough said? Help them do not hoover and smother them, be there and not in their face. As you can tell this denial shit getss to me, because I wonder who really is in denial, the person with the disease or the person saying that one is in denial.

Enough of my ranting.

God Bless & Keep You & This Country of Ours!
joe

3 comments:

NewKidontheBlogg said...

Joe,

My husband now accepts that he has Alzheimer's, but, you know, he lives each day as it comes. Our chiropractor says he is an "Alzheimer's innocent"--one of his few happy Alzheimer's patients. Those who study the disease are no longer innocent, but still can enjoy their life.

I have a blogging friend who has Lou Gehrig's disease. He is realistic about his disease, still enjoys his life and depends on the LORD for strength.

May the LORD strengthen you with His might and direction.

Cordially,
Carol

Anonymous said...

I really think that throughout life we are taught to 'fess up to our problems...admit you are a scholar, athletic type, workaholic, liar, cheater, failure and so on. So, to this end, I think if the person with the disease says he/she has it, the thought is that recognizing it is half the battle...no matter how misguided that line of thinking really is.

Lynn said...

If the person with the disease says they have it one day and the next day they don't remember that they have it, what difference does it make? What battle have they or you won? The only people who need to recognize that there is a problem are the caregivers so that they can find the best way to guide and help the person with it. Joe knows there is a problem, he chooses to say "hey there is something wrong with me" so others can see what is going on but for the most part people do not want to say there is a problem because they have no control anymore over their lives. I guess what I am trying to say is don't push for the "Dad you have this so accept it" try "Dad let me help you get through this and we will work together." At least while you can.