Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Alhzeimer's & Marriage

I received a comment from a gentleman whose wife has early stage AD. It seems this has affected his marriage quite a bit. Trust me that is an understatement, it has litterally screwed mine up. I have asked my wife to post her side on the blog, but she is reluctant for whatever reasons.

I know that she has one heck of a time with me, I am extremely moody at times, I get lost in conversations and I go off elsewhere in my mind on a dime. The other day we were talking and as usually Mr. Brilliant here got lost and could not even get a word out, the wife answered for me and was right. Her words to me were "Aren't you glad I know you?" my reply was yes someone has to because I do not know me anymore. This is starting to get scarey now. I have been going to post for the last couple of days, just does not happen. It certainly has messed up our sex life, I cannot even keep things going, because my mind suddenly goes off to War, or the Circus or some such fuckin thing and I am no longer involved in the situation or I just plain fall asleep.

I cannot even imagine how my commentor or my wife feel. I am not even sure how I feel at any given moment. At times I am on my game and then there is no game I have lost my processes and cannot get back. Yes I can write because I can stop and come back and start over, but in my real world it just does not work that way.

To my friend I am truly sorry for your situation, I will not say Hey it is ok it will be fine, because the truth is it will not get better only worse. I do hope the Lord continures to give you the strength you need for each day, we are a hand full.

God Bless You & This Country of Ours!
Joe

7 comments:

karen said...

I am so sorry. Your wife must be a wonderful to put up with you.LOL! I know it is no laughing matter. God Bless you both.

http://alzheimersandmomblog.blogspot.com/

Qué Locura said...

Hey, I'm just 16 years old and I'm from Colombia.
Two nights ago, I watched HBO Documentary: "The Alzheimer’s Project" and I didn't know how hard is live with this disease, and I want you to know that maybe I don't know you and you don't know me, but here in my country, in Colombia, someone know that you're trying to fight against alzheimer's.
Next year i'll go to college and I'm gonna be a doctor, I promise that i will do anything to help people with alzheimer's.
Cuz I watched you talking about your life, a great life, you made great things... maybe in future you will forget all you did, but people wont do it.

My name is Jessie and now, you have a friend on colombia.
I'll think of you and I'll think of your family.

Live, Love, Laugh.

JUST A MOM said...

good to see ya hangin,,,

Annie said...

As hard as it is dealing with AD in a parent, I cannot imagine the difficulty of doing it with a spouse. Hugs to you and Lynn.

colleenmc said...

Hi Joe, Yours is one of the first blogspots I check daily and I'm always happy to read a new post. The picture of you and your wife speaks volumes. And, especially, I want to thank you for having the God Bless in your signature, so thoughtful. Take care of yourself and pass that on to your spouse.
Regards, Colleen

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,
thanks for sharing the personal struggles you and your wife are going through; it helps other people in the same situation to know that they are not alone in how they feel.
Please keep on posting your thoughts and feelings; you are providing very useful information about this difficult disease.
Hang in there - you are in my thoughts.

Cyn City said...

I really enjoy reading your posts Joe and I am a big supporter so I hope you don't take this the wrong way...

My dad has been really moody since being diagnosed with AD and various other health problems that required surgery and physical therapy.

It was very hard to deal with but his doctor perscribed him an anti-depressant that has been helping a lot. It doesn't really help him remember things, but it makes him less pissed that he can't remember which has improved our relationship a lot.

I know the dynamics of father and daughter are a lot different then husband and wife but I just thought that I would give my two cents. I wrote a post about it over on my blog if you're interested.

Keep fighting the good fight Joe. God bless.