Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Alzheimers Newsletter I Subscribe Too

I subscribe to the following newsletter, you will find their link on the right side of this blog.

Alzheimer's Daily News
A Publication of the Ageless Design Research Foundation
Tuesday, December 12, 2006

in this issue
* Possible Fingerprint of Alzheimer's Found
* Pharmaceuticals Companies Enter Drug Alliance
* Early Diagnosis of Alzheimer's on the Rise
* More"Creative and Responsible' Senior Care
* Cold-Weather Tips for Older Adults
* Richard's Views: I've Moved and I Didn't Know It
* Calendar of Events - Link to November Events

Dear Joseph,
Editorial Note: Each
day Ageless Design Research Foundation reviews the
news wires, looking for press releases and current
articles relating to dementia. We write a brief
description of each article along with a link to the
originally written story before including it in the
Alzheimer's Daily News. For more information we strongly
recommend that you read the full article and draw
your own conclusions.

Mark & Ellen Warner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Possible Fingerprint of Alzheimer's Found

(Source: AP) - Researchers at New York's Weill
Cornell Medical College appear to have found a
fingerprint of Alzheimer's disease lurking in
patients' spinal fluid, a step toward a long-awaited
diagnostic test.

The scientists discovered a pattern of 23
proteins floating in spinal fluid that, in very
preliminary testing, seems to identify Alzheimer's -
not perfectly, but with pretty good accuracy.

The researchers then looked for that protein
pattern in the spinal fluid of 28 more people - some
with symptoms of Alzheimer's or other dementia, and
some healthy. The test indicated Alzheimer's in nine
of the 10 patients suspected of having the disease,
and incorrectly fingered three people.

Dr. Norman Relkin, lead researcher in the
project, has begun talks about testing his results,
and preparing for larger studies to see if this is a
potential "biomarker" of Alzheimer's.

Go to full story: lycos.com (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yrmhx9bab.0.o4bfy9bab.oyfjcabab.10043&ts=S0218&p=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.lycos.com%2Fdynamic%2Fstories%2FA%2FALZHEIMERS_SPINAL_FLUID%3FSITE%3DLYCOS%26SECTION%3DHEALTH%26TEMPLATE%3DDEFAULT%26CTIME%3D2006-12-12-07-04-36)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pharmaceuticals Companies Enter Drug Alliance

(Source: Business Wire) - GlaxoSmithKline and EPIX
Pharmaceuticals announced a strategic collaboration
to discover, develop and market novel medicines for
the treatment of a number of diseases, including
Alzheimer's.

EPIX will be responsible for the discovery and
development of PRX-03140 for the treatment of
Alzheimer's disease.

Go to full story: businesswire.com (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yrmhx9bab.0.p4bfy9bab.oyfjcabab.10043&ts=S0218&p=http%3A%2F%2Fhome.businesswire.com%2Fportal%2Fsite%2Fgoogle%2Findex.jsp%3FndmViewId%3Dnews_view%26newsId%3D20061212005330%26newsLang%3Den)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Early Diagnosis of Alzheimer's on the Rise

(Source: MSNBC) - James Smith remembers the shock of
hearing his diagnosis.
"I'm 45 years old, you know?" he recalls. "I can't
have Alzheimer's."

But his doctor explained that this is not
uncommon. The Alzheimer's Association says as many
as 650,000 Americans under age 65 have been
diagnosed with the disease. Experts say the
incidence of Alzheimer's is not increasing in
younger people. Rather, doctors are better at
diagnosing it and there is less of a stigma attached
to the disease.

"Once I get to the point to where I've lost
awareness and I can't recognize Juanita, I don't
know who my children are, to me, that's a scary
world because I don't know what that feels like," he
says.

Researchers hope by studying young people with
the disease they will find far better treatments.

Go to full story: msnbc.com (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yrmhx9bab.0.q4bfy9bab.oyfjcabab.10043&ts=S0218&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.msnbc.msn.com%2Fid%2F16158987%2F)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
More"Creative and Responsible' Senior Care

(Source: LA Jewish Home for the Aging) - "The
confluence of people living longer plus more people
entering the senior age group sadly means that there
will be a growing number of people afflicted with
Alzheimer's disease," said Molly Forrest, president
and chief executive officer at the Los Angeles
Jewish Home for the Aging. "It is time that we start
addressing their needs in a more visionary and
aggressive way."

Forrest points to the Goldenberg-Ziman Special
Care Center, opened in 2002, as an example of how
"creative thinking" can have a dramatic impact on
the care of Alzheimer's patients. The staff utilizes
pioneering techniques on behalf of its residents.
These include a "universal-worker" concept where all
staff members are involved in all aspects of
residents' care.

"It is time for us to start advocating on behalf
of Alzheimer's victims and to do much more than we
have done before," says Forrest. "It is a moral and
ethical obligation we must face as a values-based
society."

Go to full story: prnewswire.com (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yrmhx9bab.0.r4bfy9bab.oyfjcabab.10043&ts=S0218&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.prnewswire.com%2Fcgi-bin%2Fstories.pl%3FACCT%3D104%26STORY%3D%2Fwww%2Fstory%2F12-11-2006%2F0004489031%26EDATE%3D)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cold-Weather Tips for Older Adults

(Source: AMA) - A new booklet -- Stay Safe in Cold
Weather! -- offers older adults tips on avoiding a
dangerous condition called hypothermia. This free
12-page publication is now available from the
National Institute on Aging.

"Older adults can lose body heat faster than when
they were young, and some health problems and
medicines can make it harder for them to stay warm,"
said NIA Director Richard J. Hodes. "This booklet
describes hypothermia and offers simple steps
seniors can take to lower their risk of this
sometimes life-threatening health concern."

Hypothermia occurs when a person's body
temperature drops below 95 degrees Fahrenheit
because of exposure to cold, either indoors or
outside. Low body temperature can cause heart
attack, kidney problems, liver damage and sometimes
death. According to the federal Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention, about 600 people in the
United States, half of them age 65 or older, die
from hypothermia each year.

To order free copies or for more information
about Stay Safe in Cold Weather! and other NIA
publications, visit the NIA Web site at www.nia.nih.gov (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yrmhx9bab.0.s4bfy9bab.oyfjcabab.10043&ts=S0218&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nia.nih.gov) or
call (800)222.2225. Bulk orders are welcome.

Go to full story: nih.gov (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yrmhx9bab.0.t4bfy9bab.oyfjcabab.10043&ts=S0218&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nia.nih.gov%2FHealthInformation%2FPublications%2Fstaysafe%2F)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Richard's Views: I've Moved and I Didn't Know It

by Richard Taylor
Not out of the house mind you. Just out of my
current set of beliefs about myself. I thought I
could do this, it turns out I can't. I thought I
could figure that out, it turns out I can't. I don't
know if I've moved on, or over, or up, or down; but
I know for sure I'm not the same person this
afternoon that I thought I was when I woke up this
morning.
We are in the midst of a major re-do of our
house. It started out with Granite Counter tops (I
know, don't ask me either why we need them, we just
do). It has grown into wood floors, new drapes, a
complete house-wide paint job (Taupe for those of
you who just had to know), new granite back splash
for the kitchen, new plumbing, new this and new
that. Everything will be new, except me!
I still am living with dementia, probably of the
Alzheimer's type.
Well, who is going to install the under cabinet
lighting? Not me.
What about steaming the old wallpaper off in the
dining room? Not me. Surely, someone will ask me to
paint. No one else in the family likes to do it,
except me. No one has asked! How about pulling up
the rug, rolling it up and throwing it out? You
guessed it, not me.
Thus far, my job seems to be opening and closing
the front door for the soon-to-be hired workers who
are giving estimates to do MY work!
This situation called for a family meeting.
"Did you all forget I have, can and even like to
work on home projects? Did you forget all the money
I have saved us by figuring things out by trial and
error, and if and when that doesn't work, consulting
the directions for a number of highly complicated
in-home projects?" I proudly asked.
Silence from all others; stares at the table and
out of the corners of their eyes at each other. I
couldn't tell if they were mad or sad. I did know
there was a common feeling holding back all their
tongues from speaking. Then it hit me: "I have
Alzheimer's disease! They don't trust me. They don't
want me to do the work. Either they believe I can't
do what needs to be done, or I will try and mess it
up.
Wow!"
I confronted them directly and they offered
half-assed excuses as to why I shouldn't do this or
that. "Remember (15 years ago!) when you tried to
fix the ceiling fans and when you turned them on
they blew every fuse in the house?" "We thought you
were too busy with your other projects and didn't
want to take up your time" "How did we know you were
interested when you didn't speak up?" And so the
debate began. I won ALL the arguments, yet here I
stand at the door waiting for the "floater" to walk
in.
I suspect this experience is not unique to people
who have a cognitive disease. Many families don't
trust each other when it comes to doing things
around the house because we are allegedly "sloppy,
don't clean up after ourselves, do a half assed
job," and so on. What turns this situation into a
major downer for yours truly is the fact that I
thought part of who I was, was being able to do
these things. I thought other people loved and
respected me because I could do all things, had done
all these things, mostly successfully.
Now the two key questions for me are: Do they
still love me? and Why?
Despite my claims to the contrary, I do define
myself more or less by what I can do, not who I am.
I'm no longer sure of who I am. I'm sometimes
agitated, aggravating, insensitive (more that in the
past), frustrated (much more than in the past),
insecure (a great deal more than in the past), and
simply unaware of what other people tell me. I have
lost the definition of myself that I spent sixty
plus years putting together. I don't trust my own
self anymore!
How many more times will I put my family through
this personal rediscovery of the changes in my
abilities to meet life's every day challenges? The
other day I couldn't find the place to put gas in my
lawn mower. I searched for more than half an hour
before I asked a neighbor to come over and show me.
I have started to use more and more pronouns because
I can't recall people's names, even my own
grandchildren! I know these things are true because
others have told me I do this! I've been discovered.
I've been exposed.
Yet I still woke up this morning in my old self.
Sometime, perhaps last night, I moved and didn't
know it.

Richard
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Calendar of Events - Link to November Events
A list of education conferences is available at
The Alzheimer's Daily News web site. Click here to see a list
of upcoming conferences click here (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yrmhx9bab.0.9tgo9ybab.oyfjcabab.10043&ts=S0218&p=http%3A%2F%2Falznews.org%2FFolderID%2F231%2FSessionID%2F%257B451658A6-15F9-434C-9134-94045C1AEE1F%257D%2FPageVars%2FLibrary%2FInfoManage%2FGuide.htm).
To add your conference to our Calendar of Events
click here (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yrmhx9bab.0.mdmixybab.oyfjcabab.10043&ts=S0218&p=http%3A%2F%2Falznews.org%2FInfoID%2F1484%2FRedirectPath%2FAdd1%2FFolderID%2F231%2FSessionID%2F%257B451658A6-15F9-434C-9134-94045C1AEE1F%257D%2FInfoGroup%2FMain%2FInfoType%2FArticle%2FPageVars%2FLibrary%2FInfoManage%2FZoom.htm).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quick Links...
* Contribute to Alzheimer's Daily News - http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yrmhx9bab.0.8i4whqbab.oyfjcabab.10043&ts=S0218&p=http%3A%2F%2Fpartners.guidestar.org%2Fcontroller%2FsearchResults.gs%3Faction_donateReport%3D1%26partner%3Dnetworkforgood%26ein%3D03-0394452
* This Week's News - http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yrmhx9bab.0.9bnblabab.oyfjcabab.10043&ts=S0218&p=http%3A%2F%2Falznews.org
* News from January, 2006 - http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yrmhx9bab.0.tvqqyrbab.oyfjcabab.10043&ts=S0218&p=http%3A%2F%2Fagelessdesign.infoservecm.com%2FFolderID%2F261%2FSessionID%2F%7BA8A3F195-5AF6-430D-AAC0-752E0BAB1D0F%7D%2FPageVars%2FLibrary%2FInfoManage%2FGuide.htm
* Share The News with a Friend - http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yrmhx9bab.0.vpcwjdbab.oyfjcabab.10043&ts=S0218&p=http%3A%2F%2Fui.constantcontact.com%2Fsa%2Ffwtf.jsp%3Fm%3D1100587767566%26ea%3Dewarner%40agelessdesign.org%26a%3D1100691334065%26id%3Dpreview
* Visit the Alzheimer's Store - http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=yrmhx9bab.0.rkksgkbab.oyfjcabab.10043&ts=S0218&p=http%3A%2F%2Falzstore.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
email: ewarner@agelessdesign.org
phone: 800.752.3238
web: http://alznews.org
This email was sent to jolynn1@cox.net,
by agelessd@aol.com
Ageless Design Research Foundation | 3197 Trout Place Road | Cumming | GA | 30041

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Sounds like our house. I feel the same way sometimes.

Joseph Potocny said...

It is my house that is for sure.
Joe